Friday, February 01, 2008

It's Hillary

When John Edwards dropped out of the 2008 Presidential race, I was left with a choice to make, and misgivings about either choice.

Like friends who’ve just found religion, my Obama friends have chatted me up, e-mailed me, phoned me and tried to help me see the light.

If I say his resumé’s thin, I’m being a racist. If I suggest he voted “present” a lot of times, and in an attempt to insulate himself from attacks, he hasn’t taken a specific position on much at all, I’m a bitter throwback to the negative politics of the past.

If I point out that he opposed the Iraq war from the relative comfort of the Illinois State Legislature, I’m a cynic.

If I suggest that he looks perfect because he hasn’t brokered deals to pass national legislation, or taken stands that could jeopardize his Senate seat, I’m ignoring how electable he is.

And in general, if I’m thinking of voting for Hillary, I’m ignoring her flaws, and apparently, even more importantly, her husband’s flaws, the flaws of the past eight years. In short, I’m forgetting about all the baggage Hillary brings to the table.

If I want Hillary, I'm simply not listening to what they're telling me.

These friends of mine are not faddists; these are people, some of whom read, research, think, participate in, and care about, the politics of this country. And the others believe they have happened upon something hopeful and exciting for our country. So I consider their input valuable.

And I’m voting for Hillary Clinton.

No President gets to deliver on every promise, but I believe that from her battles scars and trials Hillary has emerged with a valuable pragmatism. When she takes office, she’ll know which goals to tackle first, and how to twist arms and strike bargains to move programs forward.

On policy, I believe her health care approach is distilled from experience, including the formidable task of confronting a “no way, no day” attitude from Republican legislators. Her work on behalf of children goes back to before Bill’s entry into politics.

And on Iraq, I understand the complexities of making a decision while America is commemorating the first anniversary of 9/11, while examining classified intelligence documents that later turn out to be some neocon’s fantasy, and while a President is pushing for a vote before a mid-term election, instead of letting this important decision be made outside of politics.

There you are—and certainly, if you want to, you can announce that you believe the President, Vice President, Departments of State, Defense, FBI, CIA and National Security Agency are all wrong and you are right. Years later, you’d be vindicated, but for now, you’d be undermining yourself and your party. Or you can push to amend the bill, and get reassurances that this bill will help push talks for greater inspections. But in the final analysis you can take a look around, realize that you are in the minority, the bill’s going to pass with or without you, bite the bullet and decide to support your country in spite of your reservations.

I didn’t believe in the Iraq war from day one. But I was watching on television, far away from the action, like Senator Obama. It’s a little different making the call, as Senator Clinton did, when so many departments and agencies are showing you “clear evidence”, because objections have been hidden from you, and the train’s leaving the station with or without you.

By the way, Senator Obama’s rhetoric may cost him if he’s the nominee.

After repeatedly telling us that “Senator Clinton was for the war before she was against it,” he’ll be trying to secure the votes of millions of his countrymen who were also for the war before they were against it. That includes tens of millions who now regret the war but oppose abandoning the mission.

Actually, when it comes to experience, in my judgment, Ms. Clinton is barely experienced enough. Mr. Obama might very well represent the future of leadership in this country. He’s already inspiring and mobilizing millions of people. But as of today, I’m not ready to let him run the show.

I appreciate that you’ve seen the light, and I respect that.

For my friends who are new to politics, welcome. Just so you understand, I AM listening to you. I'm just disagreeing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home